The punishments for Federal Crimes depend on a lot of factors. Some factors considered are personam to the accused while others depend on the kind of charge and the damages committed.
However, there are limitations and ranges provided in the United States Code that guide courts in determining the punishments for these crimes. Some of the range are provided below.
- Individual convicted for the crime of Money laundering are often ordered to pay twice the value of the amount involved. Those convicted are also sentenced to imprisonment and depending on the attached crimes, sentencing could reach up to a lifetime imprisonment in federal prison. The limit for the penalty is up to $500,000. On the other hand, other penalties are also attached especially if the money laundering charge involves drug trafficking charges and corruption.
- Individuals incarcerated for Securities fraud are required to pay a large fine that is calculated based on the amount of money that was fraudulently obtained and/or a maximum period of incarceration of up to 25 years in prison.
- The crime and conviction of tax evasion as a federal offense is not to be taken lightly. It comes with a maximum fine of up to $100,000 to any individual, and $500,000 if the defendant is a corporation. It is matched by a five year prison sentence in federal prison.
- Individuals charged with kidnapping may be convicted and penalized via lifetime imprisonment.
- The individuals charged with mail fraud as well as wire fraud also face heavy prosecution. It carries a maximum prison sentence of up to 20 years. If the scheme also involved a bank, the potential fine increases to up to $100,000.
- Healthcare fraud is also a federal offense that carries a fine equivalent to the amount aht is fraudulently received as well as a prison term that could lead to lifetime imprisonment.
- Child pornography, another serious crime, would affect the accused by a penalty of up to $250,000 in fines and a sentence of up to 30 years.
- Sex tourism also carries a hefty penalty of up to $250,000 and a lifetime imprisonment.
- Individuals charged with bank fraud faces a fine of up to $1,000,000. The penalty also comes with a hefty prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- Bankruptcy fraud also carries a prison sentence of up to five years. There is a possible forfeiture of assets and dismissal of the fraudulent bankruptcy petition.
- Drug trafficking carries life in prison depending on the severity of the drug charge. Fines can be hefty and involves lifetime imprisonment.
What Are The Best Defenses?
The best defense against federal crime prosecution is the best and experienced lawyer. Attorney Nuridinov has top notch experience in ensuring that his clients achieve the highest level of defense necessary for their liberty.
Contact Us Today
If you need help urgently, we are always here to help. You can go to our office at 1121 Avenue Z, Brooklyn, NY 11235 or call our telephone at: (+1) 347-763-93-96